Sunday, October 25, 2009

Croup!!! :(

Well Saturday night we had quite the scare. At 2:30 in the morning we heard Alivia wheezing on the monitor. I quickly rushed in there and Alivia was burning up and was wheezing really hard...almost like an asthma attack. She was really having trouble breathing! We got the thermometer out and her temperature was 99.5 but I was not convinced because she seemed much hotter than that. I then called Dr. Powell's triage line and they forwarded me to Children's Mercy. When I talked to the dr. on the phone from Children's Mercy they asked me to put the phone up to Alivia and he immediately said you need to take her to the emergency room. By this time I was quite scared. We quickly rushed to St.Mary's since it was the closest. Right when we got there they knew right away that she had croup. I had heard of this many times before but I expected coughing not shortness of breath or wheezing. They then gave her a breathing treatment which she didn't like very well and some medicine that they prescribed for us to use the next couple days. Thankfully she was sooo much better after the breathing treatment....poor baby! The dr. actually said she definitely needed a breathing treatment so we did the right thing by coming! We got home at 5:00 in the morning and she slept pretty good all day today. I was sooo surprised by that! Hopefully tonight she will do just as well because the dr. said the croup attacks usually happen at night and the first night is usually the worst! Keep your fingers crossed for a good night! We are soo glad she is ok and doing better! WE LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Alivia...and poor Mommy and Daddy!! How scary!! I'm so glad she is okay!!

    ReplyDelete